How to Sew a Magnetic Fishing Game
This colourful little magnetic fishing game is really easy to make from felt and is a great way to introduce kids to creating things on the sewing machine.
Suitable for : Beginners
Time Taken : Two hours
1. Draw out simple sea creatures on paper to act as templates (these should be about 12 centimetres tall). We chose a fish, turtle, seahorse, jellyfish and starfish.
2. Pin the templates to the felt and cut 20 shapes to create 10 sea creatures in contrasting colours.
3. To make a jellyfish, cut strips of different colours of felt and glue to the inside of the fabric. For the turtle, we cut a body shape from brown and a shell from green felt.
4. Pin and sew each pair together – as it is felt you don’t need to sew around the fiddly edges, just the main bulk of the shape. This can be done on a sewing machine or by hand.
5. Glue a magnet to the top of each sea creature then embellish the animals with scraps of felt to create faces and fins.
6. For the fishing rod, tie the string around the edge of a magnet to hold it loosely in place. Cut two tear drop shapes out of felt, big enough to cover the magnet. Spread glue on one piece and attach the string and magnet, then glue on the top piece. Take the dowelling and tie the string to the end. Add a blob of glue to make it secure then cut off the loose ends.
Now get fishing! Take it in turns to see who can hook the most little nippers in a minute.