How to Make Rose Cupcakes
Beautifully crafted sugar flower cupcakes and cakes are a continuing trend this year in cake decorating. Make sure to keep on trend with these pretty rose cupcakes, a great sweet treat for Valentines that look like mini works of art!
There are a wide range of colourings to choose from to make your rose, why not have a go at creating a beautiful red rose to adorn your cupcakes after you’ve mastered making the pink one?
Images and how to instructions courtesy of Wilton
- Sugar glue
- Wilton Ready-To-Use Gum Paste (395 grams makes nine to 12 roses)
- Wilton Rose Icing Colour
- Wilton Lemon Yellow Icing Colour (Combine Lemon Yellow with Rose for yellow shown)
- Corn flour
- Favorite cupcake recipe
- Wilton White Pearl Dust
- Plastic ruler
- Cocktail stick
- Craft foam block
- Wilton Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Wilton 23 centimetre (9 inch) Fondant Roller (pink guide rings used)
- Wilton Gum Paste Flower Cutter Set
- Wilton Fondant Shaping Foam Set (thin square used)
- Wilton 10-Pc. Fondant/Gum Paste Tool Set (ball tool used)
- Wilton Brush Set
- Wilton Foil Wraps
- Wilton White Standard Baking Cups
- Wilton 12-cup Standard Muffin Pan
- Cooling Grid
- Wilton 23 centimetres (9 inch) Angled Palette Knife
- Food-safe scissors
- Make nine rose bases five days in advance. For base, use a six millimetre ball of gum paste to form into teardrop shape, three centimetre tall. Dip end of cocktail stick into sugar glue and insert into bottom of rose base, approximately 2.5 centimetre. Insert cocktail stick into craft block. Let dry 48 hours.
- Make roses three days in advance. Tint three 85 gram portions of gum paste light rose, dark rose and yellow. Use the instructions in the gum paste flower cutter set to make three roses in each colour with three layers of petals. When you finish adding the third layer of petals, slide foil wrapper up the cocktail stick and shape foil around bottom of rose to support petals as they dry. Use a piece of sticky tape to secure foil wrapper around the cocktail stick. Let roses dry 24 to 48 hours.
- Make cupcakes. Prepare batter following recipe directions. Bake and cool cupcakes.
- Decorate cupcakes. Use brush to dust white Pearl Dust on edges of all roses. Prepare buttercream following recipe directions. Use palette knife to ice top of cupcakes smooth. Position roses on cupcakes. Use scissors to trim toothpicks to adjust heights if necessary.
- Remove roses & cocktail sticks before eating