These rabbit cupcakes are perfect for the keen baker who wants to take their baking to the next stage. Comprising of a moist sponge cupcake base, topped with scrummy frosting and some delicious shortbread bunny ears.
Made by cake baker Fran from Espresso Kitchen.
How to Make Rabbit Cupcakes
Total time needed : One hour 15 minutes
Prep time : Ten minutes
Baking time : 20 to 25 minutes
Decorating time : 40 minutes
Skill level : Intermediate
How to Make
- Preheat oven to 170 °C and line a 12-hole cupcake tin with the white cupcake cases.
- Cream the butter until pale and soft then add in the caster sugar and beat again until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time beating between each addition. Sift in the flour and baking powder.
- Mix the milk and vanilla extract together and then add to the other ingredients. Mix slowly until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases and bake for 20 – 25 minutes until golden brown.
- When the cupcakes are finished take out of the oven and place on a wire cooling rack as soon as possible.
How to Decorate
- Beat the butter until soft and pale then add the icing sugar and combine until thick. Slowly add in the milk until you have a thick creamy consistency. Add in any food colouring at this point if you are colouring your cream cheese frosting.
- Place the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a wide round nozzle. Pipe the buttercream using a swirl action onto the top of the baked cupcakes.
- Dip the front of your bunny ear biscuits into the buttercream.
- Using black food gel colouring, add two dots for the rabbit’s eyes. Using the pink food gel add a dot for the nose and also a tear drop shape on each of the rabbit’s ears to form the inside of the ear.
- To complete the rabbit cupcake, stick a white pom on the back of the cupcake case using a glue dot.