How to Make Pipe Cleaner Wands
These wands are simple to make and the options for shapes, beads and straw combos are endless. As pipe cleaners have sharp bits at each end make sure you tuck them in out the way of little hands.
To make the flower wand:
1. Thread 15 beads onto a pipe cleaner, leaving about 1cm at the end. Bend into a circle and tie the end.
2. Take another pipe cleaner and twist onto the base of the circle. Bend into a petal shape and twist around the centre circle every three beads. Go all around the flower with pipe cleaners. Twist any excess onto the stem.
3. Twist a green pipe cleaner onto the base of the flower and add green beads. Twist the ends onto the stem and pinch the centre of the pipe cleaner to shape it into leaves.
4. Fill up the stem with alternate straw parts and beads and bend the end of the pipe cleaner into the final bead to conceal the sharp end.
5. Cut different lengths of ribbon and glue onto the base to finish.
Star wand alternative:
1. Thread straws onto a pipe cleaner and bend into a star shape. Twist the two ends of the pipe cleaner together and push the ends into the straws.
2. For the handle, twist two pipe cleaners together and twist the ends onto the bottom of the star. Fill with beads, then twist the end up to stop the beads falling off and hide the sharp edges.
3D wand Alternative:
1. Twist two pipe cleaners together in the middle to form a cross. Fill each pipe cleaner with beads and straws.
2. Twist opposite ends of the pipe cleaners together. Add a handle made from two pipe cleaners twisted together and fill with beads and straws and glue a pom-pom onto the top.