How to Make Easter Shard Cupcakes
Create a bit of wow factor at Easter without having to dedicate hours of time to becoming a decorating professional, with these super easy shard cupcakes! Ice your cakes however you like, then add your candy melt shards – and colour to your preference using the easy Colour Right system from Wilton!
- 1 x recipe or cake mix » for 24 cupcakes
- 1200g Wilton Decorators Icing »
- Wilton Color Right Colouring system »
- Wilton Treatology Flavouring system » (optional)
- Wilton 12 inch disposable Piping bags »
- Wilton tip 2110 »
- Wilton tip 32 »
- Wilton tip 21 »
- Wilton white cupcake cases »
- 2x Wilton White Candy Melts »
- Edible sugar, glitter or sprinkles »
1. Bake and cool cupcakes. Use your favourite cupcake recipe or mix to make 24 cupcakes.
2. Prepare 1200g Wilton White Decorators Icing divide into 3 bowls – use Color Right base colours and QuickCount colour formulas to tint icing in the following shades:
Pastel Pink: 480g white icing + 1 P
Pastel Yellow: 480g white icing + 1 Y
Pastel Blue: 480g white icing + 1 B + 1 P|
Use Wilton Treatology Flavouring system to give your icing some extra yumminess – try salted caramel or coconut for an extra special treat!
3. Make candy pieces. Melt Candy Melts candy according to package directions. Pour melted candy onto a baking sheet covered in parchment/grease-proof paper.
4. Spread into a thin even layer, about 0.5cm thick. Cover with a light dusting of a Wilton Coloured Sprinkle Sugar of your choice
5. Chill until firm, about 15 minutes. Break into uneven pieces.
6. Prepare 3 x Wilton Disposable 12inch piping bag – fit tip 2110 in a disposable decorating bag with pink icing, tip 32 with yellow icing and tip 21 with blue icing.
7. Pipe with tip 2110, tip 32 or a tip 21 in centre of cupcake. In a different colour icing, pipe a swirl onto each of the cupcakes.
8. Insert candy shard into cupcake top. Add decorating candy.