How to make an Ice Lolly Tote Bag
You Will Need
- Self-adhesive foam
- Tracing paper and pencil
- Four take-away tubs
- Thick cardboard
- Scrap fabric
- Newsprint paper to line bag
- Mini cotton tote bag
- Paper towel for cleaning
- Fabric paint in four different colours
- Hairdryer (optional)
- Ice Lolly Tempalte (PDF, 596 kb)
How to Make
Steps One and Two
1. Trace around the Ice Lolly Template using the tracing paper and pencil.
2. Transfer-trace your design onto the self-adhesive foam by turning over the tracing paper and re-drawing over the lines again.
Steps Three, Four and Five
3. Now the lines have been transferred to the foam carefully use the scissors to cut the shapes out.
4.Using your pencil press and draw heavily into the foam to make indentations of the FAB letters and the sprinkles.
5. Next remove the adhesive backing from the foam and stick each shape onto the thick cardboard. Trim each one so that the foam sits aprox. 1cm from the edge of the cardboard.
6. Now to make your printing pads! Mix 4 different paint colours and put a blob or two into the bottom of the take away tubs. Place a piece of felt which should be slightly larger than your stamps onto the paint and let it soak it up-a minute or so.
7. Test your stamps by pressing them on your print pads and then stamp on some scrap fabric. You’ll then be able to gauge how heavy you need to press to get a good print.
Steps Eight and Nine
8. Get your mini tote bag ready by lining it with some news print paper to protect the inside and begin by printing the top of the ice lolly design- making sure you leave room to fit the rest of the design.
9. Press the stamp firmly down and lift off carefully using the cardboard edges. Print your way down the rest of the design using the print before to act as your guide.
Top Tip! You may like to use a hair dryer to dry each layer as you go.
10. Finally, using some paper towel and a bit of water, wash your stamps carefully so you’ll be able to use them again.