How to Make an Easter Shard Cake
A cake decorated with candy shards is dramatic, trendy, and remarkably easy to make. Use Wilton Candy Melts candy to make the bright and beautiful candy decorations for your showstopper shard cake!
- Your favourite cake recipe or cake mix »
- Wilton Candy Melts in White »
- Wilton Candy Melts in Yellow »
- Wilton Candy Melts in Pink »
- Wilton Primary Candy Color Set »
- Wilton 3-Pc. Icing Comb Set » (swirl edge comb used)
- Wilton White Decorator Icing » or 1kg buttercream
- Easter Egg or Spring flower decorations »
1. Make candy shards – melt white, yellow and bright pink Candy Melts candy separately, according to package directions.
2. Divide white candy into two portions. Tint a portion yellow with a small amount of blue to make bright green. Tint remaining portion blue with a small amount of yellow to make turquoise.
3. Pour half of the melted pink candy into cookie sheet. Spread into a thin even layer. Use wide swirl edge of icing comb to imprint overlapping half circle swirls; clean comb in between each new swirl design. Chill until firm, about 15 minutes.
4. Pour melted green candy over the pink. Create swirl designs using narrow swirl edge of icing comb. Chill until firm, about 15 minutes.
5. Unmold candy onto parchment paper. Break into shards.
6. Repeat twice to make candy in turquoise and pink, and turquoise and yellow.
7. Make the cake. Bake and cool three cake layers according to pan directions. Level layers to 1 ½ in. high.
8. Stack layers on a cake plate, filling with white icing. Place remaining icing in decorating bag with cake icer tip; cover sides and top of cake with icing – or use 9inch straight spatula to spread icing over the top and side of the cakes.
9. Press candy shards and icing decorations into cake top and position around bottom border and into cake top. Sprinkle smaller pieces of candy around candy pieces on cake top. Add in small Easter egg or spring flower decorations as shown.