How to Make a Solar System Hat
Do you have a budding astronomer or astronaut in the family? Make sure they know their planets with this solar system hat project.
Gather circular items from around your home to draw around to make the planets, and then crack out the colouring supplies to decorate the planets.
Suitable for : Beginners
Time to make : 1 hour, plus drying time
- Paint (I used the ready Mix Paint Bright set)
- Colouring Pencils
- Coloured Card
- Glue Dots (Any glue is fine, I just find glue dots the easiest)
- A variety of circular objects to use as planet templates
1. The first thing I made was the main hat base, I took an A4 sheet of black card and folded it in half lengthways then cut down the fold. Using the glue dots attach the two parts to create a long strip of black card.
2. Randomly put glue dots all over the front of the card and get glittery, once everything has been thoroughly coated shake the excess glitter off, now you have a lot of lovely stars as a background for your planets.
3. Again using the glue dots attach the two ends together to create your hat, it is a good idea to check that it will fit before sticking anything down.
4. Using different circular items as templates draw your planets onto coloured card, I used a mix of holographic card and pastel cards for the different planets. When you are happy with the sizes cut them out.
5. Decorate your planets using coloured pencils, glitter and paint.
6. Whilst the planets are drying make your name labels using the coloured card and cut them out ready. I also cut out some comets using the holographic card as extra decorations.
7. When everything is dry stick your planets and labels to the hat base using glue dots, remember to get them in the right order![infobox bg="brownlight" color="black" opacity="on" subtitle="Use the sun to hide one of the hat joins at the front, that way the second join will be at the back of the hat and less noticeable."]Top Tip…
The finished hat . . .