There’s nothing better than a homemade cake, especially one that can be enjoyed by all. This simple Victoria sponge cake recipe is incredibly easy to bake – and even more fun to make! Whether you want to pop your feet up and enjoy a slice with your favourite cuppa, or be generous and share the whole thing at a party, one thing’s for certain – it’s going to taste divine!…
How to Make a Simple Victoria Sponge
You Will Need
- Mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Two 7 inch round baking tins
- Greaseproof paper
- Palette knife
Ingredients for the Sponge
- 170 grams of butter or margarine
- 170 grams of caster sugar
- Two eggs
- 170 grams self raising flour
- One teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Splash of milk
How to Make
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease and line two seven inch baking tins.
2. Start by creaming together the butter with the sugar, until pale and fluffy.
3. Crack both eggs into a separate mixing bowl and whisk slightly, then add in the vanilla essence.
4. Pour the egg and vanilla extract into the creamed butter and sugar mixture and combine. On doing this the mixture may look like it’s split, however do not worry once the flour has been added the mixture will come back to a regular consistency.
5. Sieve the flour into the bowl, mix until combined.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared tins and place in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes of until golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
7. Leave the sponges in the tin for ten minutes and then turn them out onto a wire rack.
8. Once the sponges are completely cold you can start assembling the cake – spreading a layer of jam on the bottom sponge, whip the cream until you have soft peaks (or however you prefer.)
Top Tip!...Tip! Make sure not to whip the cream too much otherwise it will split, and you will have to start over again.
9. Spread a generous helping of whipped cream on top of the jam.
10. Scatter the strawberries (you may need to halve these depending in how big they are) and raspberries on top of the whipped cream, and then add the second sponge on top.
11. Dust the top of the cake with icing sugar.