How to Make a Simple Chocolate Cake
If you’re a beginner to baking, it’s essential to get the basics right for a solid foundation to your skills. This simple chocolate cake recipe is a fantastic staple, and great for an indulgent celebration!
Recipe by Wilton.
For the Chocolate Cake
- 320g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 squares (170g) semi-sweet chocolate
- 170g butter (softened)
- 300g granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 360g cups milk
For the Chocolate Butter Cream Icing
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract »
- 100g solid vegetable shortening
- 115g butter (softened)
- 95g cocoa (75g unsweetened chocolate, melted)
- 450g sifted confectioners’ sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray 9 in. round baking pans with vegetable pan spray.
2. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In large microwavable bowl, melt chocolate and butter for 2 minutes or until butter is melted. (Mixture can also be melted on top of stove in heavy saucepan over low heat.) Stir until smooth. Transfer to large bowl; add sugar and beat with electric mixer until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla; mix well. Add flour mixture alternately with milk; beat until well blended and smooth. Pour into prepared pans.
3. Bake 32-36 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Remove to cooling grid; cool completely before decorating.
Method for the icing
1. In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add cocoa and vanilla. Gradually add sugar, 100g at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry.
2. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.
3. Use palette knife to spread icing on the cake evenly. Finish off with chocolate curls by using a peeler on the edge of a chocolate bar.