How to Make a Lollipop Stick Boater Hat
Superstar milliner, Stephen Jones, has created some of the finest work for top fashion houses such as Dior. In honour of Wear a Hat Day for Brain Tumour Research, he put his hand to creating some crafty hats using Hobbycraft supplies – it’s amazing what you can make from lollipop sticks!
1. Use bostik glue to stick two pieces of foam together for the brim.
2. Draw around the brim pattern with a pencil and cut it out.
3. Cut 2cm into the brim to make tabs.
4. For the crown: Using another piece of foam draw a line across it which is the height of the sticks and cut out this strip. Cut another strip exactly the same.
5. Overlap these two strips by 2cm to make a strip long enough to fit around your head. Make five holes to stitch though.
6. Thread a chenille stem through the holes.
7. Measure the two joined strips and cut one end down so the finished length is 61cm. Join the other ends of the foam in the same way to make a tube.
8. Place the crown on the brim and make holes around the base of the crown and into the tabs in the brim.
9. Stitch together with chenille stems.
10. Using hot glue stick the sticks to the crown.
11. And to the brim.
12. Tie and make a bow with the ribbon around the base of the crown.
13. Make two bunches of flowers and use the ribbon to make bows around the bunches.
14. Hot glue one of the bunches to the top of the crown and tuck and glue the other bunch behind the bow around the base of the crown on the other side.
*Texts costs £5 plus network charge. Brain Tumour Research receives 100% of your donation. Obtain the bill payer’s permission. Call 01908 867200 for any queries. Registered charity no.1153487 (England & Wales)