How to Make a Headdress
Get crafty with playtime and have a go at making a headress with your little one! Whether you prefer brights or pastels, they’re easy to make, and also make a fantastic crafty party activity that they can play with after!
1. For the headband, cut two 6cm wide strips from the length of a piece of red A4 card. Use double sided tape to stick them together to create a band long enough to fit around the head (allowing for a slight overlap).
2. Find the centre of the headband and mark in pencil. Cut small (about 5mm thick) strips of card and arrange them to make a pattern on the headband – for example a diamond or cross, like ours, or you could write your initials. When you’re happy with the arrangement, glue in place.
3. Cut 5 feather shapes in a range of sizes (our largest was 18cm high) from the basics and plain card packs. If you struggle to draw the shape, find an image online and print it out for a template. Fold down the centre and cut into the edges to make them look like feathers.
4. Line up and glue the feathers to the back of the headband. Then fit to the head and tape to secure at the back.
1. Draw around a cup on a piece of card – position it in the centre as shown in the picture. Add a 6cm strip along either side and cut out.
2. Cut another 6cm strip from the remaining card. Cut in half and use double sided tape to stick to each side of the headband to make it longer.
3. Cut patterns from silver foam to decorate the headband. For the star shape draw and cut a circle then divide it into eighths. Arrange 6 of the pieces to form a circle in the centre of the headband and glue in place.
4. Cut 3 feathers, about 15cm high, from card. If you struggle to draw the shape, find an image online and print it out for a template. Fold down the centre and cut into the edges to make them look like feathers. Cut one or two smaller feathers from silver foam.
5. Line up and glue the feathers to the back of the headband.
6. Finally use a punch to cut shapes from the remaining card. Arrange them on the headband and glue in place. Fit to the head and tape to secure at the back.