How to Die Cut a Poinsettia Card
Treat family and friends to this clever handmade poinsettia card designed by Sandie Gough. Using the new collection of intricate dies from Crafter’s Companion to give a professional finish, your handmade card will be a snip to make yet look like you’ve spent hours creating it, as well as out on the mantelpiece amongst its shop-bought counterparts!
1. Cut two pieces of kraft card measuring 7 by 7 inches and 8 by 7 inches. Place the 8 by 7 inch piece onto a scoreboard, the long side facing the top, and score at 1 inch. Fold and burnish.
2. Apply Collal Tacky glue to the scored flap and stick to the back of the 7 by 7 inch piece (rounding corners will give a better finish if desired).
3. Use a paper trimmer to cut a 6.75 inch square piece of Centura Pearl and a 6.5 inch square piece of kraft cardstock. Also trim one of the Nordic papers into quarters. Layer the pieces onto the front of the card, placing the Nordic paper quarters with a 1.4 inch border around the edges.
4. Create a rosette in a piece of heart-patterned ribbon by making a small loop and adding a blob of glue, holding in the centre.
5. Make another loop to the right-hand side,then back to centre and glue again.
6. Repeat making loops and gluing until the rosette is finished (an alternative to gluing is to stick through the centre if you prefer). You will need two of these rosettes.
7. Using the Die’sire Poinsettia Christmas Classique die set, cut two large petals from kraft card and one from Centura Pearl; two medium petals from kraft card and one from Centura Pearl; and three small petals from kraft card and three from Centura Pearl.
8. Shape one of each small petals and layer into the centre of the ribbon rosette, with the kraft petals on top. Do this for both rosettes and finish with a flat-backed pearl. Shape and layer the main poinsettia, finishing again with a flat-backed pearl in the centre.
9. Adhere the large poinsettia to the centre of the card front and the ribbon rosettes in the top-right and bottom-left portions of the card.
10. To match the inside, cut and layer a 6.5 inch square piece of Centura Pearl and a 6.25 inch piece of kraft card, along with one matching sheet of 6 inch square Nordic paper. Make a white patchwork centre using four 2 inch square pieces of white card stock.