If you love this then we’ve got even more treats your dad will enjoy in Cross Stitch Collection. Stitch a very picturesque Cornish harbour scene, or even an amazing wildlife study in issue 237. Cross Stitch Collection is available in shops now, or you can buy a copy of Cross Stitch Collection online. Happy stitching!
How to Cross Stitch a Fathers Day Card
Wonderful Dad Card
- Time to make : Two evenings
- Suitable for : Intermediate stitchers
You Will Need
Your basic stitching kit, plus…
- 28 HPI linen or 14 HPI aida, 20 x 20 cm
- Stranded cotton as listed on your printable project sheet
- Card – 101 x 101 mm square aperture
- Double-sided tape
How to Make
- Download your Father’s Day cross stitch chart and key.
- Fold your fabric in half in both directions to find the centre – this is where to start stitching. Start in the centre of the chart with the letter ‘A’ in ‘DAD’. Follow the chart for the colours to use and work all your cross stitch in two strands. If you are using linen fabric, you will need to make all your stitches over two threads.
- Cross stitch all the lettering and the border, then you’re ready to add the backstitch. This will make your letters and border edge stand out brilliantly.
- Now you can mount your stitching in a card. Trim the fabric so that it is about 1cm larger than your card aperture. Put strips of double-sided tape all around the inside of the aperture, then press this down on your stitching. Turn the whole thing over and fold the left-hand flap of the card and secure with more tape to conceal the back of your stitching.
- Add your message inside and enjoy presenting your beautiful handmade card to your dad!
Our ‘Wonderful Dad’ design will look just as good stitched on 14HPI aida fabic. Just remember to make each cross stitch over one thread of the fabric rather than two.