Create the cutest charm in only an hour. It’s a lovely accessory to give as a gift to a crafty friend or a little treat for yourself. You can even add beads for a fancy finish. It’s great for beginners and a lovely introduction to stitching on evenweave fabric if you haven’t tried it before.
If you love this then we’ve got even more charms to try in Cross Stitcher. Add a teeny sewing machine, cotton reel and scissor charm to your collection with issue 280. Cross Stitcher is available in shops now, or you can buy a copy of Cross Stitcher online.
How to Cross Stitch a Bag Charm
Time to make: One hour
Suitable for: Beginners
You Will Need
Your basic stitching kit, plus…
- 28 count white evenweave, 10 x 10 cm
- White cotton fabric, 5 x 5 cm
- Black cord
- Beads (optional)
- Charm cross stitch chart and key
How to Make
- Download your special charm cross stitch chart and key.
- Fold your fabric in half in both directions to find the centre – this is where to start stitching. Follow the chart for the colours to use and work all your cross stitch in two strands and backstitch in one. As you are using evenweave fabric, you will need to make all your stitches over two threads.
- Cross stitch all the lettering and the border, then you’re ready to add the French knots to give you little 3D details.
- Now you can turn your stitching into a charm. Trim your stitching 1cm outside the design and turn under the edges of the fabric. Fold the cord in half to make a loop and stitch to the back of the top left corner of the square. Place a little stuffing on the back of the stitching, then turn under the edges of the backing fabric and slip stitch on top. Add beads to the bottom if you’d like a fancy finish.
- Loop around the handle of a canvas bag or the tab on a zip to make a fun little accessory!
Loop your charm through the handle of your scissors to make them easier to find!