Hello! It’s Laura and Tia here from Little Button Diaries. We’re in full festive mode now and this month’s project is a felt advent garland to be filled with 24 goodies in the countdown to Christmas. It’s pretty easy to make but it takes a little bit of time as you need to make 24! So get started nice and early.
Felt Christmas Advent Garland Tutorial
You Will Need:
- 12 sheets of red felt
- 6 sheets of white felt
- Felt numbers (1 – 24)
- White sewing thread
- Red sewing thread
- 1 ½ metres of thin red ribbon
- Fabric glue
- Baker’s twine
- Small pegs
How to Make
1. Begin by printing out the template below to fit onto A4 paper. Using the red felt, pin and cut out 24 mittens and 24 stockings.
2. Cut strips of white felt for the trim. You want them to be half an inch wider than your felt numbers. Our numbers were 1 inch high, so we cut strips of felt 1 ½ inches wide.
3. Pin the trim to the top of the stocking/mitten and sew along the top and bottom with white thread using a sewing machine. You need to do this for every mitten and stocking so the trim is on the front and back. Don’t worry about the edges at this stage as they will be neatened later.
4. Pin the front and back (wrong sides together as they will not be turned) and sew using red thread along the edges leaving the top open. trim off the excess felt to create a neat edge.
5. Glue your felt number onto the front of the stocking/mitten on the white trim.
6. Cut 7cm of ribbon and fold in half to make a loop. Sew the loop onto the back wall of the stocking/mitten on the inside. Hand sew a bell onto the front. Then pin your advent calendar to baker’ twine and hang.
Now all you need to do is find 24 mini gifts to fill your lovely advent with. A breeze!
For more craft and baking ideas, why not hop over to our blog, Little Button Diaries.
Laura & Tia x