How to Fabric Paint Denim
Want a quick and easy way to transform your denim collection? Give previously unloved and tired items of clothing a new lease of life by using fabric paints.
There are lots of different ways you can paint on your design, or you could use stamps or stencils, if you’re feeling super creative you could even design your own stamp using lino (see my how to below).
- Fabric paints
- Pencil with a rubber on the end
- Item to personalise
1. Think about the pattern you would like to produce on your denim item before you get started, then dip the rubber end of the pencil into your fabric paint (take care not to use too much as it may smudge and you’ll get a very splodgey polka dot).
2. Press the pencil onto the fabric and pull away quick to get a impressions.
3. Continue stamping on your polka dots until you are happy with the design.
1. Draw the heart shape onto the lino and cut out the area around the outside of the heart.
2. Using a lino roller (or if you prefer, a paintbrush) apply a thin layer of the fabric paint, and place (paint side down) onto the denim, press down firmly with the heel of your hand, to ensure all of the design is transferred, alternatively you could always use a clean lino roller.
3. Carefully remove the lino.
4. Continue stamping on your hearts until you are happy with the design.