DIY Humpty Dumpty
This super cute Humpty Dumpty make is great for doing with the kids and is perfect for using unloved socks and tights that are lurking at the back of the drawer!…
DIY Humpty Dumpty
Time to allow : 45 minutes + drying time
Skill level : Beginner
What you Need
- Mache egg
- Acrylic paint
- Googly eyes
- Pink pom
- Hot glue gun
- Paint brushes
- Hot Melt Mini Glue Gun and glue sticks
- Two pairs of tights or socks
How to Make
- Start your DIY Humpty Dumpty by painting the mache egg with the cream acrylic paint and leave to dry, and then apply a second coat.
- Once the cream paint has dried, mark with a pencil a line around the centre of the mache egg and paint everything blue that is below this line, once complete leave to dry.
- Whilst the mache egg is drying, take two pairs of old socks or tights and stuff then with old rags or toy filling. For the arms you will need shorter lengths than you will for the legs. If you are using tights cut off each leg and discard the middle section.
- At the end of each length, stitch (either by hand or using a sewing machine) across the opening so that the stuffing remains in the tights or socks. Cut off any excess material.
- Once the mache egg is completely dry, attach both the arms and legs using a hot glue gun. Hold in place for a few seconds to allow the glue to ‘set’ a little.
- Put one glue dot on the back of each of the googly eyes and position on the mache egg.
- For the nose, attach a glue dot to the pink pom-pom and then position on the mache egg.
- With a pencil draw on the eyes and mouth.
- Cut two bow tie shapes out of your choice of felt and then, with a small square for the middle of the bow, tie using the image above as a guide. Secure centrally to the front of the mache egg, using a hot glue gun.
Hints and Tips
Make sure that you wash the brushes in cold water as soon as you have finished using them to paint on the acrylic. If they are left unwashed the paint will harden around the bristles and you will not be able to use them again.