How to Decorate a Bunny Head
Fancy creating something a little different this Easter? Add this adorable paper mache bunny head to your Easter project list! The possibilities are endless with this little bunny, so why not have a go at decorating it your way. It is the perfect piece of wall art for any home!
1. To start your paper mache bunny head you will need to prep it ready for decorating by using white acrylic paint. Using white acrylic paint will help to bring out the colours of the decoupage paper you have chosen to use. Once your first layer of acrylic paint has dried, apply another layer.
2. Once the paint has completely dried, you can begin using your decoupage paper to decorate the plaque. To do this you will need your paper, decoupage glue and decoupage brushes. Rip your paper into little pieces using your hands, apply your glue to the surface of the plaque and then reapply some more glue to help smooth out your paper. Keep doing this until you have completely covered the plaque.
3. Now it’s time to add some detail to those cute little ears! For this you will need your gold acrylic paint. Paint a leaf like shape on the top part of both ears, when your first layer of acrylic has dried reapply another layer.
4. Some detail is still needed on the ears, so for this use your gold glitter. Apply a thin layer of glue onto the gold area you have recently painted. Gently shake your glitter so that a small amount covers where you have painted on your glue. Shake off any excess, leave to dry, reapply some more glue to seal in the glitter shortly afterwards and then leave to dry again.
5. You will now need 1 love heart doily. The doily is being used as an embellishment for the bunny head, but it will need to be cut down so that it will fit in between the ears. Here is a before and after photo of the heart doily and roughly what it should look like to fit on your bunny’s head.
6. For this next step, make sure you have something on the surface you are working on to protect it from your glue spray. Now with your glue spray, give it a very good shake and stand at least 30 cm away from your piece of doily you have just cut. Spray very lightly over the piece and immediately position onto the top of your bunny head. Once the spray glue has dried you can start to stick your paper flowers on using a glue gun.
Once your spray glue has dried, I recommend using a layer of decopauge glue on the top of your doily to seal it.
7. Keep your glue gun at the ready as you will need it again for this next step; as it is time to use your ric rac ribbon to create the edging of the plaque! Begin by choosing the starting point of where your ric rac will be glued – for me I chose to start at the very bottom of the plaque but choosing somewhere where you can hide the edges of the ends of your ribbon will help to create a flawless finish.
8. This little bunny is really starting to come together now, but it’s missing one thing! A face! For this you will need to use your marker pens, some pink acrylic paint, 0.6mm black wire as well as a sheet of pink felt. Begin by painting a little pink triangle for the bunnies nose, leave this to dry for a short while. Once properly dried, you can work out where to position the eyes of the bunny and draw the rest of it’s face! To create the bunnies cheeks, cut out 2 small ovals and use the glue gun to stick them in place. For the whiskers, cut 4 8cm black pieces of wire. To attach your pieces of wire, create 2 holes each side of the nose using a pin and this will create enough room for you to slot your wire into.
Hints and Tips
- When you are working out the position of the face, use a pencil to draw the eyes, nose and mouth before using your paint and pen. That way you will know whether the position of the face is right and you can easily rub out the pencil marks or just draw straight over them.
- It might be very tempting to cut your wire with a pair of scissors; but it will damage them! Make sure to use side cutter pliers to make a safe and clean cut in your wire.
- Why not try adding glitter to the edges of your plaque to give it more of a sparkle?
- Using other embellishments such as bows, gems and sequins are another great way of adding a little more charm and detail to your bunny!